In 2019 I delivered a design to integrate the IoT platform Device Simulator with IoT platform Connection and Analytics Services.
The objective of this design is to improve the customization of simulated device data and by automation of Data Management configurations enabling data to be stored in the DB2 data lake by the Connection Service.
- The requirements on this design
- Device simulator shall by default be Activated
- The Device Simulator editor shall provide a setting to “Save device events to the data lake”
- The Device Simulator shall automatically generate and activate a physical and logical interface for a simulated device if the “Save device events” property is selected
- The Device Simulator editor shall optionally allow a CSV file to be uploaded containing a simulated time series of data.
- The Device Simulator shall construct an event payload schema from CSV file column names and data types.
- The Device Simulator shall, by rows in the CSV file, send data events with column values as event payload.
- The Device Simulator editor shall run (as-is) in the client browser. Closing the browser will terminate simulation and ingest of simulated data
- The Device Simulator shall support the export/import of the simulator configuration.
- Limitation: A user shall not be allowed to edit the simulated device type and the event payload schema after the physical and logical interface has been defined.